Re: musical tones in speech

Alain de Cheveigne' wrote:

I didn't miss no boat.  It's simply that, having spent many a day visually
checking the F0 data, I'm dammed if I'm going to go back through them
manually assigning targets.  Either my test is relevant (and negative), or
someone must explain how targets are distributed according to the musical
scale without there being any evidence of this structure in the actual data
that the targets are derived from.
Alain:

How do you respond to Martin's point (with which I agree) that there
is no hope of obtaining any distribution with discrete peaks from
quasi-continuous F0 contours? Such contours consist in large part of
the transitions between the inflection points that are believed to be
significant in intonation.

--Bruno

Bruno H. Repp
Research Scientist