Child's scream

Dear list,
I got a question from a medical doctor asking for info about the
'noise' level of a child's scream.

She has been told that a child (age 10-11 years) should be able to
produce a level of 140 dB over a period of 10 to 20 minutes. (Measured
at a short distance, I believe).

I'm sceptical about the numbers. I found some paper titles like
'...Cries of Infants with "Colic".' and '... acoustic analysis of
child laughter'. Most of them are about children up to about three
years - and in journals which are not in our library. (A JASA paper
has no levels, but a lot of f0's, timing, envelopes etc.)

Do you happen to know about this?

Torben

Torben Poulsen
Ørsted•DTU, Acoustic Technology
Building 352, Technical University
DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Telephone: +45 4525 3940, Fax: +45 4588 0577
Email: tp@oersted.dtu.dk
Web: www.oersted.dtu.dk  or  www.dat.dtu.dk