Re: Intelligibility of reversed speech, Why?

Yadong,

Well we all have our pet theories, but nobody can prove their favorite.

The other question is "Why should this processing destroy intelligibility?"
Isn't the ear supposed to be phase deaf? Isn't this consistent with
this phase deafness? (this comment is intended to be with tongue in cheek).

I think it boils down to what are the speech cues. The experiment of Bob
Shannon (the noise driven channel vocoder experiment) convinced
a lot of people these speech cues are very primitive.

Jont

--
Jont B. Allen
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory, E161