Re: Group delay variations

Pierre Divenyi wrote:

> At 11:36 PM 6/28/00 -0400, Jont Allen wrote:
> >Pierre Divenyi wrote:
> > >
> > > This is getting interesting. Jont says that monaural and binaural phase
> > sensitivity are
> > > essentially the same, provided we look at (1) group delay and (2) the
> > variations
> > > therein.
> >
> >I did NOT say that. Not even close!!!  Nor do I believe it. Reread my email!
> >
> >Jont
>
> Jont,
>
> Then please explain a little more clearly what you meant by this:
>
>       " I would (and have done so in the past actually) measure the group delay.
>         This does a nice job of characterizing the phase in a meaningful way, and
>         avoids the problem of flat delay that does not really effect perception.
>
>         If the group delay variations, either between the two ears, or across
>         frequency in one ear, are too large, then you will hear that delay."

This does not say that the threshold delay variations for the two cases (between
the two ears or across frequency in one ear) is the same. It just says that there
is a threshold for each case. These two thresholds are not the same. The first
is order 10s of microseconds. The second is 10s of milliseconds. Thus there is
about a factor of 1000 difference between the two cases. Please dont pick
on the accuracy of my numbers here. I am speaking in rough terms.

Jont

> Cheers,
>
>          Pierre

> Pierre Divenyi, Ph.D.      Experimental Audiology Research (151)
>                                       V.A. Medical Center, Martinez, CA
> 94553, USA
> Phone: (925) 370-6745
> Fax:     (925) 228-5738
> E-mail :                       pdivenyi@marva4.ebire.org

Jont B. Allen
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory, E161
180 Park Ave., Florham Park NJ, 07932-0971
973/360-8545voice, x7111fax, http://www.research.att.com/~jba