Re: Real-time binaural analysis using Linux?

Eric Mousset wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> The department I am working for is considering purchasing some
> equipment for research purposes in binaural hearing (HRTF-based sound
> source localisation, amongst others).
> The computer on which we are intending to run the (real-time) binaural
> analyses is a PC running LINUX.
>
> 1) Part of the question is general and applies to anyone interested
>    in real-time sound source localisation with a pair of mics as input:
>    There are apparently two main options for the acquisition of the
>    acoustic signals: a sound-card vs an A/D convertor. How do they compare?
>
> 2) Linux-oriented question: Do most cards have drivers for Linux?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Eric.
>
> --
>  --------------------- mailto:mousset@sedal.usyd.edu.au ---------------------
>    Dr. Eric Mousset - Research Associate
>    School of Electrical and Information Engineering - Building J03
>    University of Sydney                              phone: +61 2 9351 7208
>    Sydney NSW 2006                                     fax: +61 2 9351 7209
>    AUSTRALIA                                          home: +61 2 9517 4961
>  ------------------- http://www.sedal.usyd.edu.au/~mousset ------------------

Eric,

I believe Steve Neely can help you.
You may want to consider use a Turtle Beach sound board.
It is cheap, and works well with Linux.

I would suggest Matlab to do such work, in conjunction with the sound card.

Jont

--
Jont B. Allen
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory, E161