Real-time binaural analysis using Linux?

Dear List,

The department I am working for is considering purchasing some
equipment for research purposes in binaural hearing (HRTF-based sound
source localisation, amongst others).
The computer on which we are intending to run the (real-time) binaural
analyses is a PC running LINUX.

1) Part of the question is general and applies to anyone interested
   in real-time sound source localisation with a pair of mics as input:
   There are apparently two main options for the acquisition of the
   acoustic signals: a sound-card vs an A/D convertor. How do they compare?

2) Linux-oriented question: Do most cards have drivers for Linux?

Many thanks in advance.

Eric.

--
 --------------------- mailto:mousset@sedal.usyd.edu.au ---------------------