Re: child's play

Aren't score following programs just pattern recognition systems, with the
score being essentially a database of patterns. The main difference would
be the transposition, but if it searched all transpositions of the
pattern, I would imagine that it would be able to follow along. A better
question (or perhaps more compelling?) would be : " if a person can't
really whistle, but instead sort of 'shapes/filters' white noise with his
mouth, teeth and tongue, and a child could recognize the melody, could the
computer easily see beyond the noise to the pitch contour and subsequently
to the melody itself?"

chris

chris mandra                                      /////

Deus Ex Machina                                    x x
                                                    *
http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/~mandra/                <->
http://www.charm.net/~metamuse