Re: [AUDITORY] Efficient Brain Recording - Audio to EEG

I am sorry ABR is not an electrophysiologic index of auditory perception. It is indeed generated by neural activity in a population of neural elements along the auditory pathways in the brainstem that is synchronised to the onset of a transient sound like a click or short tone burst.  You need the sustained phase locked activity reflected in the FFR to represent certain spectro temporal features of complex stimuli relevant percept. Cheers, Ravi Krishnan, Auditory Electrophysiology Lab, Purdue University.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Dr. Efthymios Papatzikis <efp331@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2024 10:41:24 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] Efficient Brain Recording - Audio to EEG

[Some people who received this message don't often get email from efp331@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

---- External Email: Use caution with attachments, links, or sharing data ----

Dear Malcom,

ABR is a form of measuring audio perception in general at the level of the brainstem, so If you are interested to see someone’s ability to hear/perceive audio in general, yes that’s the case. However, I do not know of any way measuring different sources of audio vs silence let’s say (for example if someone is able to listen to a specific piece of music at a certain moment), and then at the same time perform ABR. Technically is not possible because ABR is already feeding the auditory system with audio at the time of recording. You may be able to perform some monaural/binaural/masking protocols with ABR but I do not think this is what you are looking for, correct?

Best,
Efthymios Papatzikis