[AUDITORY] Call for participation: Symposium on music evolution, Padua, 3-4 Apr 2024

Dear AUDITORY members,

With apologies for cross-posting, may I bring to your attention an upcoming in-person symposium we are hosting in Padua, Italy. This event might be of potential interest to those of you based nearby.

Best wishes,

Tudor Popescu
______________

Pathways through music evolution: Reconstructing emergence between interacting minds

3-4 Apr 2024, Palazzo Bo, Padova

Organisers: Tudor Popescu, Felix Haiduk

We invite you to an exciting symposium that focuses on the interplay of cognition and evolution in musicality. Thinking of music as rooted in social interaction, we propose a fresh take on the question of why and how music emerged in human evolution.

We gathered 10 brilliant scholars from cognitive science, neuroscience, evolutionary biology, cultural evolution, philosophy, and musicology, aiming to develop an approach that moves us from "evolutionarios" to testable theories, via concrete methods rooted in evolutionary thinking.

On Wed & Thu (3-4 Apr), speakers will present perspectives that we hope will inspire (moderated) group discussions among the audience, who can attend freely up to the seat capacity. Ideas and thoughts developed there will in turn guide panel discussions, spread throughout the two days. In one additional meeting on Fri 5th Apr, the speakers will convene to string these ideas into a possible publication.

To find out more and to register for in-person participation: https://sites.google.com/view/musicevolutionpadova

Dr Tudor Popescu, DPhil (Oxon)

Department of General Psychology, University of Padova (IT)

Vienna Cognitive Science Hub, University of Vienna (AT)

www.tudorpopescu.com | https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=zyvRs14AAAAJ