Re: [AUDITORY] Electric vehicles acoustic discrimination

BTW: since we are speaking of regulations, what are the regulations for certifying commercialization of motorbikes in terms of acoustic emissions? I'm looking with interest in the frequency masks and engine conditions used by the current (EU) regulations.

Best regards

From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Flaithri Neff <Flaithri.Neff@xxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2024 7:14 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] Electric vehicles acoustic discrimination

Dear Frederico,

I will be starting a project with the National Disability Authority in Ireland quite soon in a similar area, specifically concerning speeds 20km/h and below. We will also want to compare IC engine sounds (across reasonable vehicle-age ranges as Leonardo correctly points out) and AVAS in EVs. Our primary reference point has been ISO 16254 and several other indirectly related standards (e.g. ISO 362), and subsequent regs like UNECE Reg 138 and Regulation (EU) No 540/2014.

The literature is quite sparse on the ground in relation to perceptual evaluations of these sound signatures. Given the speed cap in our project, tyre-on-road will be less of a factor for us and our research will focus on urban centres rather than highways.

Ultimately, we are going to have to build the datasets for our project. One of our preliminary tasks for this is how we structure these data and corresponding metadata, as there’s more to this than just the acoustic signature itself. We intend on hosting these datasets on a Irish national pilot platform based on EUDAT services, called IRLDAT.

Feel free to send me an email to link up.

Leonardo: very interesting information and papers – thanks for sharing.

Le gach dea-ghuí / Best wishes,

Flaithrí.

----

Technological University of the Shannon, Ireland.

https://tus.ie

https://lero.ie