Re: [AUDITORY] Question regarding periodicity in the cochlea

Hello Mathieu:

Interesting question. I think the strict spacing of the OHCs is to allow the system to be acoustically tuned. Indeed, in my PhD thesis I developed the idea that the three rows of OHCs is equivalent to a three-finger surface acoustic wave (SAW) resonator, which seems to come close to what you are working on. The reference is Bell, A. (2005) The underwater piano: A resonance theory of cochlear mechanics. PhD thesis, Australian National University, Canberra. https://dx.doi.org/10.25911/5d7a2c6dcff7f

A more elaborate and mathematical approach is that of Bryn Davies, who thinks the cochlea is a graded metamaterial that acts like an acoustic rainbow sensor. Have a look at his recent papers listed at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/bryn.davies. He has also recently published a book on the subject with Habib Ammari: “Metamaterial Analysis and Design: A Mathematical Treatment of Cochlea-inspired Sensors” (de Gruyter Applied and Numerical Mathematics).

Best wishes for your PhD.

Andrew.

Andrew Bell

Eccles Division of Neuroscience