[AUDITORY] Sad news: Prof. Dr. Risto Näätänen has passed away

Dear Colleagues,

With deep sadness I inform you that prof Dr. Risto Näätänen passed away two weeks ago.

Risto Näätänen was a pioneer of employing brain measures (electroencephalography) to address questions of experimental psychology. He is best known for his discovery of the mismatch negativity (MMN) event-related brain potential (ERP) component, which allows the study of auditory sensory discrimination, memory, predictive coding, as well as passive attention, although he has also significantly contributed to our knowledge about the early effects of selective attention. The wide variety of clinical and non-clinical applications of MMN made it one of the most widely studied ERPs in psychophysiology.

Risto Näätänen has not only formed and directed one of the most influential research groups on auditory sensory cognition in his own country, the Cognitive Brain Research Unit at the Helsinki University, Finland, but was a central figure of the international research community, such as having served as the President of the Society for Psychophysiological Research. He has tutored, guided, and inspired generations of young psychologists and neuroscientists.

Having been one of his international PhD students then collaborating and discussing with him for over three decades, I have learned from him how to conduct research in a theoretically meaningful and methodologically sound way. I also got to know him as a generous and caring person, a true father figure helping young researchers not only to become good scientist but also to find their own way doing it.

I deeply feel the loss of him for myself, the international community of auditory researchers, and science itself.

István Winkler