Re: [AUDITORY] Number of critical bands in human hearing?

The number of 24 CB refers (probably) to the Bark scale (Zwicker 1961, JASA). But it covers only the frequencies upto 15.5 kHz. So you need a few more to get to 20 kHz…

Best,

Cas Smits

Van: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Namens Richard F. Lyon
Verzonden: 14 September 2023 07:21
Aan: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Onderwerp: Re: Number of critical bands in human hearing?

I think critical bands are not discrete countable things.

But if you want to divide up the range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz into CB-size bands, then there should be an answer, though it will be more at low sound levels than at high sound levels.  24 sounds plausible for moderate sound level.  If you count ERBs at low level, you'll get more than that, maybe about 40.

Dick