[AUDITORY] Funded PhD position at UCL: Deadline 8th June

*** Please forward to any potential candidates in your networks who may be interested in this position ***

We are currently advertising a funded PhD opportunity (3-4 years) at UCL (London, UK), researching how central cognitive pathways interact with hearing loss, using behaviour and pupillometry. This is an opportunity to join the Cognitive Hearing Lab at UCL, led by Dr Emma Holmes, which combines behavioural techniques (e.g., auditory psychophysics), cognitive neuroscience (e.g., EEG, MEG, and fMRI), and computational modelling. UK students will receive a salary at Grade 6 and their PhD fees fully covered. International students will receive a salary at Grade 6 and their PhD fees partially covered.

Application deadline: 8th June 2023

Full details and application portal: https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CZZ650/research-assistant-with-mphil-phd-enrollment

Feel free to get in touch with me (emma.holmes@xxxxxxxxx) for informal queries about the position

Best wishes,

Emma

---

About us

The UCL Division of Psychology and Language Sciences is part of the Faculty of Brain Sciences, and leads the way in the fields of mind, behaviour and language. UCL Speech Hearing and Phonetic Sciences (SHaPS) sits within the UCL Division of Psychology and Language Sciences. It is internationally recognised for the excellence of its research into the perception and production of speech, hearing for speech and applied research in speech signal processing. It combines basic research into the normal mechanisms of speech and hearing with applied research into problems caused by hearing impairment or by atypical perceptual and cognitive development. Our methodologies include behavioural experimentation, neuroimaging, computational modelling, and acoustic analysis.

About the role

The postholder will be part of the Cognitive Hearing Lab, which is led by Dr Emma Holmes. The postholder will contribute to a programme of work focussed on “Uncovering how central cognitive pathways interact with hearing loss” which is funded by Wellcome. The overarching aim of this programme of work is to understand how hearing loss interacts with auditory cognitive effects on speech-in-noise perception. The postholder will be enrolled in a full-time PhD at UCL. (UCL PhD fees for UK students are covered by the grant, and fees for international students are partially covered.) The appointment will be made at an annual salary of £35,702- £36,611 per annum including London Allowance.

About you

The appointed candidate will have a first or upper-second class Bachelor’s degree from a UK university, or a recognised taught Master’s degree, in a relevant subject (e.g., psychology, linguistics, neuroscience) prior to starting the post. They will be able to statistically analyse data using appropriate software and will be willing to learn to use other software as needed. They will have the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds. They will be committed to high quality research, have good time management skills, and have the ability to work to strict deadlines.

What we offer

The postholder will be part of the Cognitive Hearing Lab, which combines behavioural techniques (e.g., auditory psychophysics), cognitive neuroscience (e.g., EEG, MEG, and fMRI), and computational modelling. We aim to foster a supportive and inclusive lab environment in which all members can thrive. The postholder will have the opportunity to interact with and learn from other members of the lab, and colleagues in the wider community at SHaPS, PALS, and UCL. The postholder will be enrolled on the Speech, Hearing and Phonetic Sciences MPhil/PhD programme and will have access to the UCL Doctoral Skills Development programme, which is designed to help doctoral candidates develop skills for research, professional development, and employment. As well as the exciting opportunities this role presents, UCL also offers an extensive range of staff benefits: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/human-resources/pay-benefits/staff-benefits

Our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion

As London’s Global University, we know diversity fosters creativity and innovation, and we want our community to represent the diversity of the world’s talent. We are committed to equality of opportunity, to being fair and inclusive, and to being a place where we all belong. We therefore particularly encourage applications from candidates who are likely to be underrepresented in UCL’s workforce. These include people from Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds; disabled people; LGBTQI+ people; and for our Grade 9 and 10 roles, women.