Re: [AUDITORY] Recommendations on sound field speakers and soundcard

Victoria, if I understand:
>We plan to produce recorded speech-in-noise via 2 speakers in a small room
you mean to use a speaker to play speech, simulating a talker, and another speaker in a different location to play a noise source?

If so, then probably most of what Krzysztof said is relevant, but you don't need "room treatment" if the intent is to pick up the actual room effect, and you don't want to consider headphones for the same reason.  But I might not understand the intent.

If I got this right, then another thing to consider is the "mouth simulator" or "artificial mouth" instead of the normal speaker or monitor, to get a more natural direction of emission of the speech sound.

Dick

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 9:01 PM Krzysztof Basiński <k.basinski@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Victoria,

In terms of soundcards (audio interfaces), for experimental work I really recommend going for an pro audio interface with good quality AD/DA converters and digitally controlled preamps. This way you can calibrate the output level of a playback system and save the exact preamp setting for later to get reproducible results. In terms of specific interfaces, you would probably want to look at the pro audio market. I’d suggest going either for anything from RME (very high quality and great software support but also expensive), MOTU (the UltraLite series, slightly cheaper than RME) or Focusrite (Clarett series). The specific model of the interface depends on your input/output needs (for talkback capability, recording participant responses, multiple streams of audio, hyperscanning setups, surround systems, etc). I would personally go for something like RME UFX II or UCX II, if budget allows. If not, I’d look at Focusrite Clarett+ 2pre. That said, there are many great interfaces on the market right now.

In terms of speakers, I’d say a decent pair of studio monitors is the way to go. You can look for example at Yamaha HS series for good quality that does not break your budget. That said, if you want to use speakers you need to think about room treatment. Depending on the size of the room and the wall material, you would probably need to invest in absorbers, diffusers and bass traps. This might get tricky so another approach is to use headphones/earphones. Especially insert earphones are well suited for EEG applications, like Etymotic ER3C. That said, you might get away with a pair of good quality closed-ear headphones if your careful. I used Beyerdynamic DT 770s as they are very comfortable to the participant while providing good isolation and sound quality.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Chris
--
Krzysztof Basiński, Ph.D.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR

attachment.png

Niniejsza wiadomość oraz jej załączniki mogą zawierać informacje chronione prawem. Jeśli Państwo nie jesteście adresatem tej wiadomości, prosimy poinformować o tym fakcie nadawcę i usunąć ją wraz z załącznikami. Kopiowanie i/lub przesyłanie dalej informacji zawartych w tej wiadomości przez osoby do tego nieuprawnione jest zabronione. Administratorem Państwa danych osobowych jest Gdański Uniwersytet Medyczny. Informacja dotycząca przetwarzania Państwa danych dostępna jest pod adresem gumed.edu.pl/55839.html

This e-mail and attachments to it may include information legally privileged. It is intended solely for the recipient. If you are not the recipient,please inform the sender accordingly and delete the e-mail with all attachments received. Copying and/or disseminating this e-mail and information included in the e-mail by unauthorised individuals is strictly prohibited. Your personal data is administered by Medical University of Gdańsk. Information on personal data processing is available at gumed.edu.pl/55839.html

On 15 Feb 2023, at 17:38, Victoria Duda <victoria.duda@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear colleagues,

We have an experimental setup for EEG under headphones that we would like to modify to soundfield. Could anyone provide some suggestions on specific soundcards and speakers used in your labs? We plan to produce recorded speech-in-noise via 2 speakers in a small room (approximately 9 x 11 ft).

Any help would be appreciated,
Victoria

Victoria Duda, Ph.D., membre de l’OOAQ
Professeure-chercheure adjointe et audiologiste
École d’orthophonie et d’audiologie, Faculté de médecine
CRIR—IURDPM du CIUSSS CSMTL, Lucie Bruneau
Université de Montréal
7077 ave. du Parc, local 3001-40
Montréal, Québec H3N 1X7
Tel: 514-343-6111, poste: 38884