[AUDITORY] Basic Auditory Science 2023 meeting

Dear Colleagues,

This is to announce the Basic Auditory Science 2023 meeting, which will be hosted by the Dyson School of Design Engineering at Imperial College London on the 21st and 22nd of September 2023.

This conference is of interest to anyone in the UK and the world who has an interest in the science of Hearing, Acoustics and Audiology. The ethos of the meeting is to facilitate the friendly exchange of work and ideas, while providing an excellent value for money.

The plan is for a two-day meeting, with presentations grouped in a number of sessions (these will run as plenary, as we are not planning to arrange parallel sessions), and with posters always on display in a separate space.

These are the sessions we are currently planning:

  •     Hearing-assistive technologies. CHAIR: Mark Fletcher (USouthampton)
  •     Spatial hearing and immersive audio rendering. CHAIR: Lorenzo Picinali (Imperial)
  •     The physiology of hearing (peripheral). CHAIR: Andrei Kozlov (Imperial)
  •     The physiology of hearing (cortical). CHAIR: Kerry Walker (Oxford)
  •     Psychoacoustics of normal and impaired hearing. CHAIR: Brian Moore (Cambridge)
  •     Modelling and measuring hearing and hearing-assistive devices. CHAIR:Thibault Vicente (Imperial)
  •     Improving hearing and listening through training and therapeutics. CHAIR: Debi Vickers (Cambridge)
  •     Cognitive aspects of hearing. CHAIR: Antje Heinrich (UManchester)
  •     Effects of noise exposure on hearing. CHAIR: Chris Plack (UManchester)
  •     Electrophysiology and neuroimaging - or objective measures (EEG, fNIRS, fMRI etc.). CHAIR: Chris Sumner (NottinghamTrent)
  •     The science of remote hearing assistance - evidence for/against new pathways. CHAIR: Bill Whitmer (UNottingham)

The abstract submission will open in mid-May - another email will be sent around that time with more precise information and instruction.

A few additional points which might be relevant to many of view: there will not be published proceedings for the meeting (the abstracts will be shared on the meeting website and among the participants), and the fees for attending are set to £30 for students and £50 for non-students. There will be a limit to the number of participants who can attend (more information about this will come later), and we hope to be able to give financial support for travel and accommodation to PhD students and Early Career Researchers (we don't though know out budget for that yet).

Finally, we'd like to thank the UK Acoustics Network (UKAN - https://acoustics.ac.uk/) for supporting this event.

Best

BAS2023 organising committee:

Lorenzo Picinali (Imperial)