Re: [AUDITORY] Long/Low & Short/High?

Dear Lori

I add an example from speech perception to those other people have sent for music.

Noel Nguyen and I found an association between pitch and perceived stop voicing in synthetic stimuli. Importantly from your point of view, the difference was found in perception but not in production. I explain at some length because it's a bit complicated and not that well known: the stop in question (/d/ or /t/) was at the end of a word whereas the manipulated pitch difference was at the beginning.
  We (and, separately, John Coleman) examined cues to phonological voicing contrast in word-final /d/ vs /t/ as in led vs let. Those cues are distributed over the entire syllable, including having longer /l/ as well as the better-known longer vowel. There were also systematic spectral differences in the [l]. No differences in f0 in this natural lab speech though.
     Hawkins, S., & Nguyen, N. (2004). Influence of syllable-coda voicing on the acoustic properties of syllable-onset /l/ in English. Journal of Phonetics, 32(2), 199-231.

In a series of perceptual experiments, we manipulated durational and spectral cues to coda voicing in the onset of high-quality synthetic led vs let. We manipulated f0 as an independent variable because we had to make the usual types of decision re what to do with it when the duration of the [l] varied systematically and the pitch contour was to be a natural-sounding declination. Listeners heard only the [l] and the first few (80?) ms of the vowel. They had to respond (i.e. guess) whether the word was led or let.
Duration of [l] was a strong cue but so was f0. Strong enough for us to have noticed it when making the stimuli, which is another reason we made it an IV.

There were some interesting learning effects as well, but the point here is that English (and probably French) listeners may use low pitch as a cue to phonological voicing throughout the syllable. As you know, this difference in f0 is consistent with what happens around closure for the word-final stop itself, but as far as I know there's not evidence for it in the word onset in natural speech -- just for the durational and spectral difference.
       Hawkins, S., & Nguyen, N. (2001). Perception of coda voicing from properties of the onset and nucleus of 'led' and 'let'. In P. Dalsgaard, B. Lindberg, & H. Benner (Eds.), Eurospeech 2001: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Speech Communication and Technology, (Vol. 1, pp. 407-410).

As a general comment, it may be worth considering the effect as related to onomatopoeic tendencies. There are always exceptions, but as far as I know there is some degree of association between size and pitch: little things higher and 'smaller' (shorter, faster, etc), big things lower and clunkier.  Noel and I suggested that, rather than the standard term coda 'voicing', it might be better to describe the whole syllable as 'sombre' for words like led. and 'bright' for words like let. This seems in line with both the whole-word complexity of the word-final voicing distinction in English, and the possibility that pitch can influence perception metaphorically, as it were.

all best
Sarah