[AUDITORY] Continuous room recordings & microphone

I’m interested in making continuous recordings of the sound in a room for a week at time. I’m wondering if anyone on this list has a suggestion for:

  1. Thoughts on a good microphone for making omni-directional room recordings.

  1. Any software or hardware that I could buy that would facilitate making long multi-day recordings and chopping them up into manageable files. I could do this using a for loop in MATLAB or Python, but am wondering if there are any alternatives that might be simpler / more robust (e.g. not prone to MATLAB or Python crashing).

Thanks in advance!

My best,

Sam