[AUDITORY] Fully funded PhD position in Sydney, Australia

Sending on behalf of Dr Boothalingam. Please contact him if interested.

-----

Dear list,

I am looking for a curious and motivated individual to come work with me, and other awesome people at Macquarie University, in the area of auditory feedback/efferent networks. We have a fully funded 3-year scholarship for both Australian domestic and international candidates. Detailed information is in the link and below. Please reach out to me if you are interested, know someone, or are just curious, and please spread the word. Thank you!

Regards,

Sriram Boothalingam

Senior Lecturer | Senior Scientist

Macquarie University | National Acoustic Labs

Sydney, Australia

sriram.boothalingam@xxxxxxxxx

Description

Hearing is adaptive – we often hear what we want to hear. This amazing feat is made possible by networks, including feedback, in the brain that fine-tune and integrate sounds to generate meaningful percepts. We seek to study how feedback networks from the lower to higher brain centers facilitate listening in complex environments and what happens to these networks when we are exposed to noise. We use a variety of methods available at Macquarie University, the National Acoustic Laboratories (NAL), and other collaborating institutions within and outside Australia (e.g., the University of Iowa/Pittsburgh, USA). These include state-of-the-art multichannel electroencephalography (EEG), magnetoencephalography (MEG), functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS), otoacoustic emissions (OAEs), transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), and animal models.

The successful candidate will work under the mentorship of Dr. Sriram Boothalingam, co-mentored by Dr. David McAlpine, and will have access to a highly supportive team of scientists/mentors within the Australian Hearing HubMacquarie University Hearing, and in the US.

If you are someone with a neuroscience, engineering, audiology, or psychology background and are curious about the hearing brain, this is an excellent opportunity/place to pursue your PhD.
Masters’ equivalent of the Australian MRes is preferred but not mandatory. Skills in signal processing/acoustics/hearing and experience with coding (Matlab/Python) are preferred but not mandatory.

Scholarship Components

The scholarship is comprised of a Tuition Fee Scholarship and a Living Allowance Stipend. The value and tenure of the scholarship is a “iMQRES” full-time stipend rate of AU$32,000 per annum (fixed rate) for 3 years.