From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Kaganovich, Natalya B <kaganovi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2022 10:38 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] EEG purchase

Hello Carlos,

I have been using the Biosemi Active Two system with children ages 7-14 or so and with adults for about 10 years. I love it. I only have 32 electrodes, which was an intentional choice. I find the application quite fast and easy – to speed up the process, we use 2 people to apply gel into electrode holders and to plug in electrodes. It takes about 12-15 minutes start to finish. I worked with Neuroscan during the post-doc. It may have changed by now, but the data quality with Biosemi is amazing compared to Neuroscan. Lloyd Smith and his team at CortechSolutions (the Biosemi distributor in the US) have been extremely supportive and respond promptly. Whenever we need to repair electrodes, we get them back within a week or so. Lloyd is extremely knowledgeable and was able to guide us through unexpected issues when the did arise.

I will mention a couple of things to consider:

  1. The wires are rather delicate. I believe the later version of electrode sets have the connection between the wire and the electrode strengthened. We do have both graduate and undergraduate students using the electrodes but provide extensive training on handling. We only had a few breakages.
  2. Biosemi does not have in-house data processing software. This may or may not be an issue for you – many labs now use Matlab-based programs for data analysis. I use EMSE, which is now also owned by CortechSolutions.

Good luck with your lab set up!

Natalya

Natalya Kaganovich, PhD

Associate Professor

Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences

Department of Psychological Sciences

Purdue University

kaganovi@xxxxxxxxxx

(765)494-4233