Re: [AUDITORY] On 3D audio rendering for signals with the low sampling frequency

Dear all:

Some years ago, I worked on using sound at onsets for calculating source
direction in reverberant environments [1]. It's kind-of obvious, because
after the onset, the sound at the ear/microphone is made up of energy both
from the source and from reflections.

Sampling rates are normally constant, and techniques for compression are
aimed at recreating the percept of the original sound: I am under the
impression that this doesn't extend to the percept of precise location of
the sound. Perhaps we need novel compression/decompression  techniques
that include the relevant data for source location.

[1] L.S. Smith, S. Collins Determining ITDs using two microphones on a
flat panel during onset intervals with a biologically inspired spike based
technique
IEEE Transactions of Audio, Speech and Language Processing, 15, 8,
2278-2286, (2007).

--Leslie Smith

Adam Weisser wrote:

> 1. Compressed sensing - This heavily researched signal-processing method
> uses signal sparsity to faithfully reconstruct undersampled signals [1].

> Neural adaptation can be thought of as dense
> sampling of the signal around its onset / transient portion, which becomes
> more sparsely sampled quickly after the onset. Because of adaptation, this
> effect is very illusive, but I believe that it is measurable
> notwithstanding. I tried to demonstrate it psychoacoustically in Appendix
> E of [4]. While I don't know how it relates to binaural processing
> directly, there may be instantaneous effects that may be detectable there
> too, given that the input to both processing types is the same.
>
> All the best,
> Adam.

Prof Leslie Smith (Emeritus)
Computing Science & Mathematics,
University of Stirling, Stirling FK9 4LA
Scotland, UK
Tel +44 1786 467435
Web: http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~lss
Blog: http://lestheprof.com