Re: [AUDITORY] On 3D audio rendering for signals with the low sampling frequency

Dear Neeraj,

Thank you so much for your discussions.

Thanks for sharing this observation here. I do not have a solution now but curious to know more.
I can relate the loss in elevation to poor capture of the spectral notches present in the HRTF. But I did not assume that the notches beyond 8kHz are this crucial. Are the HRTF personalized?

Yeah. In theory, we can obtain high localization accuracy when individualized HRTFs are used. However, we found that even if individualized HRTFs and head tracking are used, sound localization is still not so good as we expected when using headphone rendering. Especially, the errors in elevation perception are still large. Though we know that localization accuracy in elevation is greatly lower than that in horizontal plan even for normal-hearing listeners.

Also, I am now wondering, is it always the case that elevation information is poor for 16 kHz audio signals. Is there literature on this?
Just a quick shot, I will also try downsampling (without low pass filtering) the HRTF to 16 kHz and see if the aliased HRTF spectrum significantly corrupts the 3-D perception. I will bet - not much. But will keep fingers crossed.

I am sorry that I have no exact literatur on this issue. But, you can have a try and see the results. As an example, the sampling frequency for telephone speech is normally 8kHz, when we try to 3D render this 8kHz speech, It is quite difficult to perceive elevation. This is the main problem that we have to consider.

Look forward to your results and further dicussion.

Best regards,
Junfeng