[AUDITORY] Nottingham Hearing Sciences Seminar - Prof Jonas Obleser - Thursday 9th June at 2.00 pm (UK) / 3.00 pm (CEST)

Dear All,

We are delighted to announce the next speaker in our seminar series is Professor Jonas Obleser, Chair in Physiological Psychology and Research Methods, University of Lübeck, Germany. Prof Obleser will be giving the following talk on Thursday 9th June at 2.00 pm (UK) / 3.00 pm (CEST):

“Listening and meta-listening: How do direct and indirect paths shape auditory perception?”

Abstract:

Amidst a flurry of methodological advances in neuroimaging and data analysis, we have made somewhat limited progress in explaining individual (i.e., trait-like) and momentary (i.e., state-like) differences in a listener’s sensations and perceptions, that is, in their behavioural outcome.

In the present talk, I will present recent evidence from our human neuroimaging work on two broadly distinct ways of how brain traits and states shape the outcome of auditory perception: “direct” changes in sensory encoding specifically are contrasted with “indirect”, modulatory, or even meta-cognitive changes along the auditory-perception cascade.

I will argue that more in-depth consideration of the latter, indirect class of neural processes will help us explain better audition as a whole, with implications for ageing, hearing loss, and aberrant perception.

Bio:

Jonas Obleser researches processes of perception and listening using methods from the cognitive neurosciences. After studying and obtaining his doctorate in psychology at the University of Konstanz, he worked at the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, University College London, and at the Max Planck Institute in Leipzig, where he established the research group "Auditory Cognition" (http://auditorycognition.com). Since 2016, he has held the Chair of Physiological Psychology at the University of Lübeck, Germany. His current research interest centers on the dynamic changes of brain activity in perception and cognition, and how these processes interact during listening.

If you would like to join us, please use the Teams link below:

Microsoft Teams meeting – Prof Jonas Obleser

Join on your computer or mobile app

Click here to join the meeting

Best wishes,

Joe

2.00 pm / 14:00 (BST)

3.00 pm / 15:00 (CEST))

6.00 am / 06:00 (USA Pacific)

8.00 am / 08:00 (USA Central)

9.00 am / 09:00 (USA Eastern)

9.00 pm / 21:00 (CST/China Standard Time)

Dr Joseph Sollini

Auditory Circuits Lab

Hearing Sciences

Mental Health and Clinical Neuroscience, School of Medicine

The University of Nottingham

W: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/hearingsciences/people/joseph.sollini

W: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1974-4291

attachment.