[AUDITORY] 2 Cochlear Implant research jobs in Cambridge.

Dear all,

I recently separately circulated two job adverts for cochlear implant research positions in our group at the University of Cambridge. I had cunningly set the closing dates for both of them to the 14th February, so that I could discuss the posts with interested candidates in the San Jose sunshine at ARO. Ah well. So instead I have combined the two ads into this single email and am happy to provide further information by email or zoom.

All the best

Bob

Research Associate/Senior Research Associate (Fixed Term)

We wish to appoint an experienced post-doctoral researcher to a five-year fixed-term research position at the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge. The successful candidate will join a programme of research, led by Dr. Bob Carlyon, into understanding and alleviating the limitations on hearing experienced by Cochlear Implant (CI) listeners. The programme combines a range of psychophysical and electrophysiological methods to the study of CI hearing, and the appointee will contribute to and potentially expand this approach. The position will be based at the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, which houses state-of-the-art facilities and a thriving auditory research and neuroscientific community. Dr. Carlyon's group has strong collaborations with clinical colleagues at Addenbrookes hospital Cambridge and throughout the Cambridge Hearing Group, which includes auditory researchers from a wide range of disciplines throughout the University.

This is an exciting opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher to join a talented multi-disciplinary team and to progress towards an independent research career. The successful candidate will be encouraged and supported to apply for their own funding during the second half of the appointment. They will already have postdoctoral research experience relevant to the study of CIs and will have a good record of publications in international peer-reviewed journals. The appointment will be made at the Research Associate (RA) or Senior Research Associate (SRA) level; appointment as an SRA will require evidence of an independent research reputation. Due to the levels of skills and experience required we anticipate making an appointment towards the top of the RA scale or towards the bottom of the SRA scale.

For further details please see https://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/32926/

Research Associate (Fixed Term)

A position is available for a postdoctoral scientist to work on a project entitled "A multi-disciplinary approach to understanding and improving hearing by cochlear implant users", led by Dr R. Carlyon, Prof J. Middlebrooks, and Dr. J. Wouters. The position is funded by a Collaborative Award in Science from the Wellcome Trust and will be based at the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, University of Cambridge.

The project involves a combination of direct-stimulation psychophysical measurements, electrophysiological recordings, and computational analysis of results. Computer programming skills are essential. The job will involve programming in Matlab, calibrating cochlear-implant (CI) stimuli, and performing direct stimulation experiments with CIs. Experience in these roles is therefore desirable.

The post-holder will have a first and/or second degree in a numerate or auditory discipline, and will hold or be about to obtain a Ph.D. in a relevant field. The role involves liaising with clinical staff at Addenbrookes hospital and with patients, and so the post-holder will need excellent interpersonal skills. The role also involves collaborating with the teams led by Prof. Middlebrooks (Univ. California, U.S.A.) and Prof. Wouters (Univ. Leuven, Belgium); this will include regular meetings and the possibilty of short exchange visits to California and Leuven. There is plenty of scope for the post-holder to contribute their own ideas and development.

Informal enquiries can be made to Dr. Carlyon (bob.carlyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 35 months in the first instance.

Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service check (enhanced with children and adults' barred lists). This appointment also requires a Research Passport application.

Further details are available here: https://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/32961/

Closing date: 14th February 2022.

Dr. Bob Carlyon

Deputy Director