Re: [AUDITORY] The Seven Year Anniversary of monotoSTEREO.info!

And what about stereo to surround?

I have tried to use room simulation with my Yamaha RX-V2400RDS with up to 8 loudspeakers but the best and simplest solution is to send the Left-Right high frequency part (above 200 …. 500 Hz) to Left Surround and Right surround and couple the low frequency Left part to Left Surround and low frequency Right part to Right surround.

Note that the extension from 2 to 4, from stereo to quadrophony, was a failure and even the playback of 5.1, 7.1, x.y, Dolby ATMOS,….  surround recordings often have localization problems.

The extensions towards more than a dozen of channels, as found in many surround systems, is unnecessary overkill, especially in the reproduction of music. While for movies sound localization is important, the reproduction of music is seldom improved by adding more reproduction channels with the goal of an improved localization. In music reproduction feeling immersed by a natural sounding diffuse field is far more important than localization.

Read more:

http://beesikk.nl/JohnBeerends/Art.JohnBeerends-HiFiPart7whatDoWeReallyWantV6english.pdf

Art.JohnBeerends-HiFiPart1transparencyV6english.pdf (beesikk.nl)

John Beerends

http://beesikk.nl/JohnBeerends.htm