Re: [AUDITORY] Sex differences in auditory processing

Dear Ani, dear all,

we found sex differences in both ear training and musical imagery skills in music students/musicians, see:
Wolf, A., & Kopiez, R. (2018). Development and Validation of the Musical Ear Training Assessment (META). Journal of Research in Music Education, 66, 53-70.
Wolf, A., Kopiez, R., & Platz, F. (2018). Thinking in music: An objective measure of notation-evoked sound imagery in musicians. Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, and Brain, 28(4), 209-221.

For both skills men outperformed women, which replicated in every sample we collected for these papers. My best guess is a difference in motivation in female and male students with music theory and ear training being the most logical and structural type of skill within a music programme (the MINT within music, maybe). Plus probably stereotype threat, since in Germany most music theory staff are male.

Best
Anna