[AUDITORY] Postdoctoral Research Position at Washington University in St Louis

We are seeking a fulltime postdoctoral researcher to contribute to new and ongoing experiments in our hearing science laboratory. PhDs, AuDs, or MDs are encouraged to apply.

Our research addresses questions related to the origins of physiologic measurements from the ear. Physiologic measurements of hearing and vestibular function are routinely used in clinics and basic science laboratories. Despite progress, there are gaps in knowledge about the cellular and spatial location in the inner ear where many physiologic measurements originate. For example, elevated hearing thresholds are measured daily in clinics worldwide, but we do not know exactly which cochlear cell types contribute to the threshold measurements or where along the cochlear length the cells are located. The present goal of our work is to identify the origins of objective measurements of hearing to improve their use in understanding the causes of hearing loss, for differential diagnosis, for treatment monitoring, and for studying the mechanics of hearing.

We use a variety of challenging approaches in a guinea pig model. We can provide training for surgical techniques even if you do not have any prior surgical experience. One approach we use involves ablation of the endolymphatic sac to induce endolymphatic hydrops. Another approach we use sequentially delivers drug solutions to finely spaced cochlear regions using gentle perfusions into the cochlear apex. This technique overcomes the losses of drug concentrations associated with the classical use of passive, uncontrolled round window drug delivery. We currently use postmortem histological and immunohistochemistry techniques to image the inner ear, and anticipate using newer approaches to visualize structures of the intact and live ear. These approaches are used to addresses long-standing questions of high scientific and clinical interest that still do not have answers: 1) What is the origin of the hearing loss and other symptoms that patients with Meniere’s disease experience? 2) Where along the cochlea does cochlear amplification and otoacoustic emissions originate?

Your primary role will be to make measurements using our customized data acquisition rigs, complete preliminarily analyses, and to participate in writing manuscripts. Studies initiated by you would be highly encouraged. Over the past seven years we have successfully trained four postdocs (one PhD, two AuDs, and one MD) that have contributed to a total of 10 publications, five manuscripts that have been submitted or are in preparation, and five trainee-initiated grants or awards. Salary will be commiserate with years of experience, and full health care benefits are provided. The starting date for this position can be flexible, but the ideal candidate would be available March 1, 2021. A minimum commitment of two years is required.

The department of Otolaryngology Washington University in St. Louis has a strong history of making major contributions to the field of hearing and vestibular science. At present, we have over 20 active scientists and an exciting atmosphere with a sense of community that mediates productive research. This advertised position is for the Lichtenhan Laboratory. Collaborating investigators for our ongoing projects, who you would have the opportunity to learn from, are John J. Guinan Jr. PhD (cochlear mechanics), Alec N. Salt PhD (pharmacokinetics of inner ear drug delivery), Shawn S. Goodman PhD (acoustics and signal processing), and Craig A. Buchman MD FACS (electrocochleography during human ear surgeries).

Please send inquires and CVs to Jeffery T. Lichtenhan, PhD: jlichtenhan@xxxxxxxxx