Re: [AUDITORY] Scientists from under-represented groups

Dear Auditory Science Community,

Here is a google document containing an acknowledgement of Black researchers and engineers in perception, that a few of us put together in response from requests from students, and with help from members of this mailing list (thanks!). It is a partial list intended to help further diversify representation in classroom instruction, specifically Intro to Sensation and Perception, and is a mix of historical and currently active figures.

Many caveats apply:  Black researchers and engineers are emphasized in this document over other under-represented and otherwise challenged groups, in part because of the current moment. And there are many other things we can and should be doing to increase diversity and justice in the classroom (e.g. discussing diversity of samples and sources of bias in science, the role different environments play in shaping perception, et al.), in the field, and in the world.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SnxasZmtNaxs1IiIIbUrgQ4LZl27UMyshxfU5sHaBqM

Please email me with comments, corrections and/or additions.

Best,

Steve Engel
University of Minnesota