[AUDITORY] ICAD - ABBA (Auditory Brown Bag At home): July 9th, 10am and 10pm EST

Hello Auditory Community,

ICAD (International Community for Auditory Display) is hosting the ABBA (Auditory Brown Bag At-home) virtual talks on the second Thursday, July 9th.
We are very excited to announce the presenters and topics for the July sessions.

Session A at 10 AM Eastern Time (US)

Visda Goudarzi (Columbia College Chicago, USA)
"Designing Participatory Musical Interaction and Performance"

Jiajun Yang (Bielefeld University, Germany)
"Introduction to pya - An audio library for Python"

Session B at 10 PM Eastern Time (US)

Jiayuan Dong (Virginia Tech, USA)
"Female Voice Agents in Fully Autonomous Vehicles Are Not Only More Likeable and Comfortable, But Also More Competent"

Full abstracts appear at the bottom of this message.

Different sessions each day will have different speakers, so all are
welcome to drop in to either or both sessions.

Each talk will last 10-15 minutes, with breakout small group discussion
sessions following the plenary session.

How to Attend
To attend, you will need to register for each event via the links at:
https://icad.org/abba-july-2020/

Before the meeting, registered attendees will receive a Zoom link via
email. The registration is just to help us plan for the discussion and also
to prevent Zoom bombing by unauthorized non-ICADers.

If you want to present at the 10 pm session on July 3rd, you can still do.
Register in the link above.

However, all four presentation slots for August 13 (10 AM and 10 PM EST) have been booked. Thanks for your interests and contributions!!

We want to hear about your work! We invite you to offer an
informal/semi-formal presentation of around 10-15 minutes. All topics of
interest to the ICAD community are welcome, including but not limited to:
finished research, works-in-progress, student/thesis work, tutorials,
requests for feedback on new or on-going projects, practice talks, and
updates on current events in your lab. The format of the talk is flexible,
so long as it is amenable to virtual presentation via Zoom.

You will be prompted to provide a title and brief summary/abstract of your
talk.

In general, sign-ups to give talks will be allocated
first-come-first-serve. You will be asked to indicate the days and times
that work for you, and the session chairs will work with presenters to try
to fit everyone into the schedule and/or to group similar talks when
possible. There will not be a formal review of sign-ups for presenters, but
the session chairs will perform a light check to ensure the proposed topic
fits the broad interests of the ICAD community.

Questions?

If you have any questions about the July 9th sessions, you can contact
Thomas Hermann: thermann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (chair of the July 9th, 10:00 am EST session), Myounghoon Jeon (Philart): philart@xxxxxxxxx
(chair of the July 9th, 10:00 pm EST session) or any member of the ICAD board (https://icad.org/board/)

We are looking forward to seeing you at the ABBA sessions!

******

Abstracts for July 9th talks:

Designing Participatory Musical Interaction and Performance
Visda Goudarzi (Columbia College Chicago, USA)

Participatory artworks aim at creating an experience that is open to interpretation. I argue that such interpretations should not be just entirely predetermined by the creators’ expectations; rather, they should vary among audience members. I also argue that audience members that experienced the artwork could act as co-designers for the successive iterations of the artwork and broaden the creative process. In this talk, I discuss investigating these arguments with an exploratory approach aimed at transforming creative practices, by reflecting on case studies of interactive audio interfaces. Audience engagement, designers’ feedback, and reflections of expert audience members are the focus.

Introduction to pya - An audio library for Python
Jiajun Yang (Bielefeld University, Germany)

We develop pya with the mind to simplify the process of editing, processing, playing and analysing audio signals in Python. pya can be used for creating application audio, editing multichannel audios, signal processing and analysis, feature extraction, and with Python being a popular language for handling data, pya naturally lends itself toward auditory display and sonification. In this talk, we will focus on the key concepts and core classes and functionalities. We will demonstrate a few examples of using pya in the context of sonification design.

Female Voice Agents in Fully Autonomous Vehicles Are Not Only More Likeable and Comfortable, But Also More Competent
Jiayuan Dong (Virginia Tech, USA)

Driving agents can provide an effective solution to improve drivers’ trust in and to manage interactions with autonomous vehicles. Research has focused on voice-agents, while few have explored robot-agents or the comparison between the two. The present study tested two variables - voice gender and agent embodiment, using conversational scripts. Twenty participants experienced autonomous driving using the simulator for four agent conditions and filled out subjective questionnaires for their perception of each agent. Results showed that the participants perceived the voice only female agent as more likeable, more comfortable, and more competent than other conditions. Their final preference ranking also favored this agent over the others. Interestingly, eye-tracking data showed that embodied agents did not add more visual distractions than the voice only agents. The results are discussed with the traditional gender stereotype, uncanny valley, and participants’ gender. This study can contribute to the design of in-vehicle agents in the autonomous vehicles and future studies are planned to further identify the underlying mechanisms of user perception on different agents.

Myounghoon Jeon (Philart), Ph.D.
pronounced as /"me" + "young"/ /hoon/ /juhn/

Associate Professor
Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Department of Computer Science (by courtesy)
Virginia Tech
519D Whittemore Hall
1185 Perry St. Blacksburg, VA 24061