[AUDITORY] Summary: singing together online

Dear List,

Many thanks to those who responded to my query about tools for singing together online.  As usual, this list is an amazing resource.

A summary of responses is below.

Best,

Ani Patel

Original query (April 24, 2020):

Does any know of (or is anyone working on) software that allows people to sing together online?  I believe Zoom is hopeless for this.

There are plenty of videos where musicians “play music together” online while in different locations (such as this nice one: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/03/23/rotterdam-philharmonic-musicians-collaborate-stream-beethovens/), but they aren’t playing together in real time.  They record their parts separately and someone edits the parts together.

From Jonathan Berger, brg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We've been teaching jackTrip

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/jacktrip/ ) to users. Chris Chafe is the lead on this. The latency is small and the sound quality excellent. On the industry side SMULE has virtual real-time Sing application.  https://blog.smule.com/go-live-using-livejam-on-smule

--

From Chris Chafe, cc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm teaching a class specifically to support ensembles who need to go online with uncompressed audio. Feel free to join, peruse or just ask for a hand. https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~cc/deck.js/153bSpring2020

--

From Gunter Windau, G.Windau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I use Jamkazam  https://www.jamkazam.com/ for playing music together over the internet with friends from my big band. It works very well, latency is usually less than 30 ms, but if more than about 6 people join a session, synchronization starts suffering.

However, I have to add, that the last weeks or so, Jamkazam apparently suffers from the huge number of musicians that started to use the software. This results in participants not being able to send or receive audio. On busy days like Sundays it is sometimes impossible to get a working connection for all participants. In their forum they write that they are working to expand their server infrastructure.

--

From Tony Miller, antonio.miller@xxxxxxxxx

Try https://audiomovers.com/ seems to work well and is high quality and low latency.

Short explanation video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmJUOkf0kE4

--

From Prof Leslie Smith, l.s.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Look at Jamulus, http://llcon.sourceforge.net

Multiple servers - but you need to be reasonably near to the one you are using (where the metric for near is one of latency of the connection between you & the server).

Intended for musicians jamming together, it does work, though it's not wonderful. Depends a lot on the latency of the internet connections. Uses UDP (not TCP) which its correct.

And yes, they (we?) are playing together in real time. I've used it.

--

From Volker Hohmann, volker.hohmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In addition to other tools mentioned before, I would like to mention the remote collaboration box a colleague of mine, Giso Grimm, designed together with his ensemble. They use it almost every day for playing together. The hardware is low-cost (Raspi), and all software is open-source. To set it up, however, a Linux person is needed. You may want to check https://github.com/gisogrimm/ovbox

--

From Olivier Crouzet, olivier.crouzet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You will find a list of such tools if you look for "real time music jam internet" (or some combination of such keywords). I haven't used any of them yet so can't comment on any one. I've read a little bit about Jamulus (http://llcon.sourceforge.net/) which is multiplatform but there may be other solutions and I can't tell about how it compares to others.

--

From James Beauchamp, jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxx

For me, the term Telematic Music Performance comes to mind. There’s a web site at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telematic_performance that discusses the method. Another one is https://ccrma.stanford.edu/workshops/nmp2010/lectures/weaver-nmp2010.pdf .

The researcher/performer that I know about who has used that method is Jonas Braasch, who teaches at Renssellaer Polytechnic Institute . He gave a talk “An automated calibration system for telematic music applications” at the Fall, 2008 ASA meeting in Miami, and published the paper “Telematic systems seen from a music instrument building perspective” in the Nov., 2016 issue of JASA.

--

From Matthias Heyne,  m.heyne@xxxxxxxx

I saw your question on AUDITORY LIST about singing together and we've been trying to get something similar up and running for the MIT Festival Jazz Ensemble. The ovbox tool seems to be promising and I'm hoping that all the smart members of the ensemble with various engineering and programming backgrounds will help get this running for us and my plan is to make that information publicly accessible as well if we are successful.

--

End of responses.