[AUDITORY] Outdoor audio source localization, separation, and resynthesis demo

Hello,

I hope everyone is staying safe in these uncertain times.

I'm finishing up my PhD dissertation and have built a demonstration of my research that listeners can run on their own machines, for some virtual outdoor time. There is more explanation inside the application, but the focus of the research has been measuring an outdoor soundscape with a wide-spaced microphone array (covering about 300m by 300m), and then resynthesizing it in a virtual world. The research includes implementations of audio source localization and multichannel signal enhancement (foreground/background separation).

I strongly recommend wearing headphones.

I'd appreciate it if you could try it out and fill out the following short survey. Please don't fill out the survey unless you were able to use headphones. Also feel free to share any glitches or things that are confusing.

Survey is here

Downloads are here:

MacOS:
https://tidmarsh.media.mit.edu/~sfr/soundfield_resynth/Soundscape%20Resynthesis%20Demo%20v1.2%20OSX.app.zip

Windows (64-bit):
https://tidmarsh.media.mit.edu/~sfr/soundfield_resynth/Soundscape%20Resynthesis%20Demo%20v1.2%20win64.zip

Linux (64-bit):
https://tidmarsh.media.mit.edu/~sfr/soundfield_resynth/Soundscape%20Resynthesis%20Demo%20v1.2%20linux%20x86_64.zip

Note this hasn't been certified by Apple or Microsoft, so you may see a warning when you try to run it. There is no installation process, just unzip the downloaded file and you should be able to run from the unzipped folder. For Mac users you'll need to follow the instructions if you see a message about the application being from an "unrecognized developer":

- In the Finder on your Mac, locate the app you want to open.
- Don’t use Launchpad to do this. Launchpad doesn’t allow you to access the shortcut menu.
- Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
- Click Open.

Thanks!

Spencer Russell
Responsive Environments Group