[AUDITORY] Loudness special issue

Dear auditory list,

We are pleased to announce a special issue in Frontiers "Loudness: From Neuroscience to Perception". The call for participation is now open.

Please find more information via https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/13133/loudness-from-neuroscience-to-perception. The deadline for submission of manuscripts is 31 October 2020.

Best regards,

Sabine Meunier

Brian C. J. Moore

Maaike Van Eeckhoutte

www.frontiersin.org
Loudness may be defined as the subjective intensity of a sound. It is the sensation that allows judgment of whether a sound is strong or soft. Sounds can be characterized by several perceptual features and among them, loudness plays an important role. Loudness is very important for sound quality. Noise annoyance is mainly influenced by loudness, because, in most situations, the louder the sound, the more annoying it is. It is very important to control loudness for users of hearing aids and cochlear implants, for whom the loudness of sounds must be appropriate and the temporal fluctuations in loudness (particularly for speech) must be well reproduced. Understanding how the perception of loudness is formed in the auditory system and how it is coded is therefore of great importance.Loudness has been mainly described for stationary sounds, and we know quite well how it varies with level, frequency, bandwidth, and duration. More recently, research has been conducted on the loudness of