[AUDITORY] Funded Postdoc & PhD position available to research binaural hearing with cochlear implants in Freiburg, Germany

Dear List,

see here below details of funded Postdoc and/or PhD positions available with my collaborator Dr Nicole Rosskothen Kuhl to work on rat models of bilateral CI stimulation.
For further details, email Nicole Rosskothen <nicole.rosskothen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Note also that Nicole will be at ARO, so if you are attending, you can contact her there.

The Department of Otolaryngology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Otology,
Neurobiological Research Laboratory, Dr. Nicole Rosskothen-Kuhl, is seeking for a

Neuroscientific PhD or Postdoc Position

Research topic: Plasticity of the auditory system of unilateral and bilateral
cochlear implant users with different hearing experience

Starting date: 01.04.2020 or later

In the Neurobiological Research Laboratory, we investigate the plasticity of the central auditory system after electrical stimulation of the auditory nerve using a cochlear implant animal model. We are especially interested in the influence of hearing experience on the molecular and physiological adaptability of the auditory system.

In a recent project, we investigate the causes for poor spatial hearing of early deafened, cochlear implant users. The central question aims to analyze the causes of poor binaural auditory perception and should put special emphasize on a lack of experience and inappropriate stimulation of these patients. To answer this question, we combine multi-level research approaches. These include behavioral studies as well as electrophysiological and molecular techniques. In detail, we use 2-alternative forced choice behavioral trainings, multichannel in-vivo measurements of the central auditory system of rats, bioinformatic analysis tools for the evaluation of electrophysiology and behavioral data, immunohistochemical staining of brain slices, and modern microscopy methods.

The ideal candidate should have:

  • a master’s degree/PhD in neuroscience, biology, bioengineering or similar disciplines

  • extensive training in (in-vivo) electrophysiology in animal models and behavioral biology

  • experience in programming (Python, MathLab)

  • a course on laboratory animal science (FELASA, Category B)

  • a keen interest in translational hearing research, immunohistochemistry, and working with animals

  • interest in learning new methods (e.g. surgical techniques)

  • enthusiasm and great commitment to independent and goal-oriented research

  • very good written and spoken proficiency in English and German

  • excellent communication and team-working skills

  • experience in third-party fundraising

  • exceedingly high motivation and personal initiative

  • experience in the supervision of students

  • willingness in research stays abroad

We offer:

  • participation in a young and highly motivated research group with good infrastructure

  • scientific work on an innovative and cutting-edge topic

  • a translational project between basic auditory neuroscience and clinical research

  • close and direct supervision and intensive training

  • a close cooperation with leading international research groups, e.g. with Prof. J. Schnupp (Hong Kong)

  • research cooperation with industry partners

  • continuous support for the development of your scientific profile

Depending on the qualification, we offer a doctoral or postdoctoral position (TV-L 13), which is limited to 3 years.

Your applications must contain the following documents: CV, motivation letter, copies of certificates, as well as names and contact details of two referees. The application deadline is the 15.02.2020. Please send all documents by e-mail (attachments in pdf format) to:

Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Klinik für HNO-Heilkunde, Sektion klinisch-experimentelle Otologie,
Neurobiologisches Forschungslabor,
Dr. Nicole Rosskothen-Kuhl
Killianstr. 5, 79106 Freiburg (Germany)
Email: nicole.rosskothen-kuhl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For further information, please contact Dr. Rosskothen-Kuhl (email or phone: +49 (0)761/270-42730).

Prof Jan Schnupp
City University of Hong Kong
Dept. of Biomedical Sciences
31 To Yuen Street,