[AUDITORY] <no subject>

Research Audiologist

JOB SUMMARY

The Auditory Prosthesis Perception and Psychophysics Laboratory at the University of Michigan, Kresge Hearing Research Institute is seeking applicants for a Research Audiologist who is interested in conducting exciting work in cochlear implants.

The overarching goal of our work is to examine the importance of biological mechanisms underlying electrical hearing and use this knowledge to improve speech recognition in human cochlear-implant recipients.  Our work includes unique and cutting-edge work in cochlear-implanted guinea pigs, mice, and humans using psychophysical and electrophysiological measures.  In parallel, we use gene therapy procedures, genetic modifications, and histological measures in animals, and CT imaging and speech-recognition measures in humans to give a more complete understanding of the health of the cochlea and its functional implications in our research subjects.

We seek motivated applicants who are interested in conducting primarily research in humans, but there is opportunity to also be involved in our animal research projects.  The primary role of the individual would be to work on a newly funded grant which examines the role of cochlear health in central and cognitive processing, and uses EEG and cognitive measures among individuals with and without cochlear implants.  Experience with EEG is an advantage, but not a requirement.

Our laboratory is part of the Kresge Hearing Research Institute (KHRI) in the Department of Otolaryngology at the University of Michigan Medical School.  Michigan Medicine was recently listed first in the nation for Ear, Nose & Throat Departments by U.S. News & World Report.  We have a large and active clinical cochlear implant population, and close to 3,000 patients have been implanted in our program to date.

Laboratory website:  https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/khri/faculty-labs/labs/pfingst-laboratory

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS

  • MA or AuD in Audiology
  • Ability to work independently, but demonstrating strong collaborative and organizational skills
  • Research and/or clinical experience with cochlear implants

APPLICATIONS

To apply, please send your CV, and names of three potential references to Kara Leyzac (kleyzac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Kara Leyzac Au.D., Ph.D.

Clinical Assistant Professor