[AUDITORY] Announcing “Timbre: Acoustics, Perception, and Cognition��� book

Dear list,

Following the Berlin Interdisciplinary Workshop on Timbre (2017) and the conference Timbre is a Many-Splendored Thing (2018), we’re happy to announce that "Timbre: Acoustics, Perception, and Cognition”, the first comprehensive volume on the science of timbre, has just gone online. https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030148317

Divided into three parts, part I addresses the principal processes underlying timbre perception and cognition. Part II examines specific scenarios of timbre perception in voice, music, sound design, and cochlear implants. Part III is focused on the acoustic modeling of timbre.

It's part of the Springer Handbook of Auditory Research Series and will be valuable to various subfields of hearing science, including cognitive auditory neuroscience, psychoacoustics, music perception and cognition, but may also be useful for researchers in musical acoustics and music information retrieval.

We would like to thank all the authors for their valuable contribution to this book! We dedicate this volume to two giants in contemporary timbre research and practice: the late David L. Wessel, whose work on timbre inspired some of the first computer music software that emphasizes real-time musical control of timbre, and the late Roger A. Kendall, whose explorations of perception, language, and meaning in musical timbre continue to resonate.

Best wishes,
Kai, Charis, Stephen