Re: [AUDITORY] What are we doing for the planet?

Dear List,

Thank you all for your contributions. Many of you posted some proposals on the list, and many more sent me personal messages. So good news, there are already lots of good solutions. We just have to find a way to implement them.

So if you want to discuss this matter further, without polluting the auditory list, please join me here:

https://join.slack.com/t/greenauditory/shared_invite/enQtNTg0MTMzNTAzNzk2LWZkYjI5MGRhMDE3M2E3YmFhNzU4NDdiZmNmYmQ2NWU3YWRkYTE4MDgwNGMyMDZhODY1ODZlYWFlMGVkMmQxZmM

Among all the interesting ideas, here some of the highlights.

 Thanks to Barbara Tillmann and John Sloboda, we are now aware of the work of Richard Parncutt to organise a multi-hubs international conference. Although there is room for improvement, they were able to estimate an average drop of 70% of carbon emission compared to a traditional meeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPtDHidVyZE

Thanks to Emila Gomez, we have learned that the EU has put up guidelines on how to organise sustainable meetings. http://ec.europa.eu/environment/emas/pdf/other/EC_Guide_Sustainable_Meetings_and_Events.pdf

The happy fellow of the MRC (Cambridge) also have plenty of good ideas, including remote conference attendance using robots (https://www.doublerobotics.com) or virtual conferences venue (https://www.virtualtradeshowhosting.com). They also suggest encouraging people to ‘buy offsets’ for every conference they attend by air. (https://www.flysas.com/gb-en/fly-with-us/travel-extras/co2-offsets/)

It has also been mentioned many times that we should be “champion for science … to amplify the SNR of evidence-based facts” on climate change (Mike Winters).  Someone else tweeted: The whole climate crisis is not only Fake News, it’s Fake Science. There is no climate crisis, there’s weather and climate all around the world, and in fact carbon dioxide is the main building block of all life.”  (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47543905). So it seems that we really have work to do.

Alban Levity argued that we should be careful with the cost-benefit of our actions. “It is important to check that micro-efforts bring about a global result.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrbooi9PNw

Finally, I would also like to mention that many people argued that introducing “virtual conferences” will not only reduce our carbon footprint but will allow the valuable contributions of scientists with limited financial resources, not able to travel due to family reasons (young mothers for example) or physical disabilities. https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2019/03/19/academic-travel-culture-it-is-not-only-bad-for-the-planet-it-also-bad-for-the-diversity-and-equity-of-research/ (Thanks to Hamish Innes-Brown for the link).

Now what? I would like to start a group that will discuss these ideas further and advocate to implement them at our next meetings. If you would like to be part of this group, please join me on this slack.

https://join.slack.com/t/greenauditory/shared_invite/enQtNTg0MTMzNTAzNzk2LWZkYjI5MGRhMDE3M2E3YmFhNzU4NDdiZmNmYmQ2NWU3YWRkYTE4MDgwNGMyMDZhODY1ODZlYWFlMGVkMmQxZmM

Or contact me if you have any problem or other ideas….

Let’s keep the green ball rolling.

Jeremy