[AUDITORY] Recap: Origin of the 'Bregman picture'?

Dear List,

thanks for the replies - also off list. Here’s a quick recap and a free version of the picture that a friend of mine drew (CC-BY 4.0 licensed).

Fell free to use it with a reference to Bregmans book, chapter 1, p. 5-6 (citation below). The original picture was printed in old editions of Goldstein's Sensation and Perception text book (at least: German version of Goldstein, 4th edition, 1997, Spektrum. Page 352, Figure 9.1., and fifth edition, 1999, Figure 12.1, p. 350), but is not included in the 9th edition and probably also not in the 10th.

I’d be grateful for a shaded or colored version of my friends picture. If anyone who liked to use it has decent Gimp/Photoshop skills (and time) - I’d be happy to provide a high-res version for this purpose :)

Best,
Fabian

----

“Imagine you are on the edge of a lake and a friend challenges you to play a game. The game is: Your friend digs two narrow channels up from the side of the lake. Each is a few feet long and a few inches wide and they are spaced a few feet apart. Halfway up each one, your friend stretches a handkerchief and fastens it to the sides of the channel. As waves reach the side of the lake they travel up to the channels and cause the two handkerchiefs to go into motion. You are allowed to look only at the handkerchiefs and from their motions to answer a series of queistions: How many boats are there on the lake and where are they? Which is the most powerful one? Which one is closer? Is the wind blowing? Has any large object been dropped suddenly into the lake? Solving this problem seems impossible, but it is a strict analogy to the problem faced by our auditory system.”