Re: [AUDITORY] Summary: How we talk to machines that listen

"Listening" seems more purposeful, intelligently directed, and ecological than what our current technologies do, which is one reason I've preferred "machine hearing", which sounds a little more passive, or "bottom-up".  But both are fine.

My book subtitle "Extracting Meaning from Sound" is a bit more on the active side, but I carefully explain that by "meaning" I mean information that helps in doing a task or application, not necessarily an intelligent or ecological or cultural one.  We'll advance towards those, too, of course.

I don't understand why Kent says "The core mechanisms of ASA (integration, segmentation, sequential group, etc) can only exist in embodied, conscious organisms."

Dick