Re: [AUDITORY] Registered reports

Good morning Bas,

I see your point and I do agree that, in cases such as those you mention, pre-defining and getting feedback on the trial procedure you wish to conduct makes sense. However, for such scenarios, shouldn't there be industry-wide standards on testing/trials and reporting in place already?

If someone intentionally conducts a poorly conceived trial, the paper would/should be rejected in the peer-review anyway ("reject/do not encourage resubmission"). As I see it, registered reports can be helpful if researchers are not sure what trials they should conduct and want early feedback. Even here, perhaps, a simpler solution would be to make guidelines available, instead of enforcing an 'administrative' layer.

Of course, all of this is assuming that the intent is to make registered reports compulsory for any/every article. If this is not the case, the point is moot :)

Greetings from lovely, sunny Belgium (yes, we do have such days!)

Nilesh

PS: Massimo, I like your point about the carpenter being adaptive on the job. Previously I attributed this necessity to adapt to my poor skills ;)

On 2018-06-06 09:35, Bas Van Dijk wrote:
Hi Nilesh,

I agree to certain extend but I do feel that registered reporting
makes sense for 'close to product' trials and trials that lead to
treatments (for example evaluation of a fitting algorithm). In fact,
it should not really be  ' double work' as you fear because if you
execute a poor trial and then try to get it published (believe me.. it
happens :-) )but it gets rejected and you basically have no option but
to redo (part of) the work. (and -re-writing the text to get a poor
trial accepted for publication is of course exactly what you don't
want...).  That's more double work that writing up a good trial
proposal, have it reviewed and then know that if you execute according
to plan it's likely to get published even if the results are negative
or non-conclusive, that could be a pre as well.

Best wishes,
Bas

Bas Van Dijk
Program Manager, A&A - Clinician and Research Tools

Cochlear Technology Centre Belgium
Schaliënhoevedreef 20 I
2800 Mechelen
BELGIUM