[AUDITORY] Research Seminar w2: Jonna Vuoskoski (University of Oslo): 'Moved by music: The role of empathy in music-induced emotions'

Dear All,

the York Music Psychology Group is very excited to invite you to our next research seminar, held by Associate Professor Jonna Vuoskoski (University of Oslo).

Please find the details attached/below.

For more information about the York Music Psychology Group, please visit our website.

Kind regards
Diana Kayser
___________________
PhD student
York Music Psychology Group
Music, Science, and Technology Research Cluster
University of York

==

Department of Music Research Seminar

27 April 2017 | 14.00 | Rymer Auditorium / Music Research Centre (MRC)

Associate Professor Jonna Vuoskoski (Department of Music/Department of Psychology, University of Oslo)

Moved by music: The role of empathy in music-induced emotions

Music is imbued with connotations of human emotional _expression_ on multiple levels. Although it is likely that music utilises multiple different psychological mechanisms in the induction of emotional responses, one compelling account suggests that we might sometimes respond to music as we would to the observed experiences of another person — with empathy. Furthermore, I will argue that the experience we commonly label ‘being moved’ (often experienced in significant life events and in the context of music and other arts) is an inherently social emotion with prosocial functions – even when evoked by music. In my talk, I will introduce the basic premise and outline the evidence for this account, and present recent findings from my own empirical work.

----
About Jonna:

My position is shared 50/50 between the departments of Musicology and Psychology. My research and teaching reflect this interdisciplinary setting, focusing on aspects of music cognition and music psychology. My research interests include the social and embodied cognition of music, and music and emotions. I received my doctorate in 2012 from the University of Jyväskylä, Finland, where I was affiliated with the Finnish Centre of Excellence in Interdisciplinary Music Research. My doctoral research investigated individual differences in music-induced emotions. From 2012 to 2017, I was a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Oxford (Faculty of Music), working together with Prof. Eric Clarke (Faculty of Music) and Prof. Charles Spence (Department of Experimental Psychology). During my time in Oxford, I carried out two research projects that investigated multimodal perception in the context of musical performance, and the role of empathy in musical engagement. From 2014 to 2017 I was also involved in a research project based at the University of Jyväskylä (coordinated by Prof. Tuomas Eerola, Durham University) exploring the paradoxical enjoyment of music-induced sadness.