Re: [AUDITORY] Shortest duration to perceive timbre or tonal quality? Suggest reference

Dear Jiajun Yang,

Ken Robinson and I did a pair of studies in the mid-1990s that attempted to address the question of the duration required to form a timbre image, one with musical tones and one with vowels.

Robinson, K.L. and Patterson, R.D. (1995a) "The duration required to identify the instrument, the octave, or the pitch-chroma of a musical note," Music Perception 13, 1-15.

Robinson, K.L. and Patterson, R.D. (1995b) "The stimulus duration required to identify vowels, their octave, and their pitch-chroma," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 98, 1858-1865.

The durations required for timbre identification are so short that you need to be very careful with the experimental design. In these studies we compared the duration for timbre identification with that required for pitch and chroma identification. The paradigm will give you some idea of how you have to control the experiment when asking questions about short duration sounds. The problem is that you can store short sounds in echoic memory and do a lot of post processing on them that has nothing to do with their duration.

These papers also have references to earlier timbre studies you might like to look at.

I can provide pdf's of these papers if you want them.

We also did a more complicated segregation experiment on concurrant vowels that is probably also relevant to your question.

McKeown, D. and Patterson, R.D. (1995). "The time course of auditory segregation: concurrant vowels that vary in duration," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 98, 1866-1877.

Best regards,

Roy P

-------
Roy D. Patterson, PhD Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EG email: rdp1@xxxxxxxxx phone +44 (1223) 333819 http://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/directory/roy-patterson http://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/groups/cnbh/ http://www.AcousticScale.org