Re: [AUDITORY] Shortest duration to perceive timbre or tonal quality? Suggest reference

Dear Jiajun,

There have been numerous clues that attack transients of musical
instrument tones are important, but there's not been a lot of hard
evidence.

The 1963 paper by Clark, et al.:
"Preliminary Experiments on the Aural Significance of Parts of Tones
of Orchesteral Instruments and on Choral Tones", J Audio Eng Soc,
Vol 11, no. 1, pp 45-54 (1963)

gives confusions matrices for 13 sustain tone instruments for normal
tones, first 0.15 s of tones, first 0.06 s of tones, and 0.60 s of
their "steady states".

These matrices showed that "identification of nonpercussive orchestral
instruments from the first 0.15 sec of their tones is not much worse
than from the normal tone". It was "very striking that the identifications
(were) so very resistent to shortening the duration of the note".

It would be good to see more evidence about the importance of transients
for identification. I suspect that much shorter transients could be
identified for percussive instruments. E.g., piano vs. guitar vs. koto.

Jim Beauchamp
University of Illinois