Re: [AUDITORY] Research Question

Hi Rita,

A few years ago I was teaching a small group of children about music,
and I decided to play scary sounds for them to see what their reaction
would be. Actually I should say "musical scary sounds", because these
sounds were performed by musical instruments. Among the ones I chose
were the sounds accompanying the shower scene from the movie Psycho
and the shark scene from the movie Jaws. While these scenes were
fairly terrifying for movie viewers, and the music accompaniments
obviously increased the terror feeling, without the visual aspect and
the story context, the children's responses were that the sounds were
simply humorous, i.e., they caused laughter.

Any sounds of human or possibly animal anguish should certainly be
terrifying and shouldn't need any context to be so. Possibly sounds
of car or airplane crashes would be terrifying.

These days it's possible to synthesize any sound with computer
methods, so it's hard to distinguish between what is real and what
is synthetic. Good luck on your project!

Best wishes,

James W. Beauchamp
Research Professor
Professor Emeritus of Music and Electrical & Computer Engineering
email: jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxx (also: jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
WWW:  http://cmp.music.illinois.edu/beaucham
      http://www.ece.illinois.edu/directory/profile/jwbeauch
      https://music.illinois.edu/faculty/james-w-beauchamp