Re: [AUDITORY] loudspeaker recommendations

Hi Maria et al.,

At Salford, most of our expts with loudspeakers use Genelec powered monitors, including most listening tests with complex stimuli, though this is partly because we have a lot of links with the manufacturer. Any small monitor intended for professional recording studios would probably be adequate.

I’m making assumptions from your brief notes, but I think the main problems will not come from phase alignment between two drivers or from being closer than the 1 m the manufacturer will have measured the frequency response at. I’m more interested in spatial effects. The size and surface treatment of the room may have a significant effect, depending on what you are reproducing. A lot of our listening tests with loudspeakers are performed in a room conforming to ITU-R BS.1116-1 (signals to reviewers that we got the effect of the room to be about as small as it can be while still sounding ‘natural’). That said, we have recently been doing work with an object-based audio system in a much smaller room, though, with reasonable results.

I’m also a bit curious about why you’re using mono reproduction of “spectrally rich soundscapes”. This sort of stimulus is usually reproduced over some kind of spatialized system. 2D or 3D ambisonic or head-tracked binaural seem popular these days.

Best,

Professor Bill Davies

Acoustics Research Centre

Associate Dean Academic  |  School of Computing, Science and Engineering

Room 108, Newton Building, University of Salford, Salford  M5 4WT

t: +44 (0) 161 295 5986

w.davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  | www.salford.ac.uk