Re: [AUDITORY] loudspeaker recommendations

Dear Maria,

we have recently purchased a number of Equator Audio D5 speakers, which are are based on a "coaxial" design, i.e. the tweeter (high frequency driver) is mounted in the middle of the woofer (low frequencies).

This particular design allows for a generally wider field of listening, and for the speaker to be put closer to the listener without creating issues related with the low and high drivers being not in the same position. The advantage of this design if compared with single cone speakers ("full range speaker") is that it allows a much wider frequency range, it requires much less space to sound well (full range speakers tend to require larger rooms to have good low-frequency performances), and it does not need complex/large resonators, wave-guides and horns in order to extend its frequency response.

Tannoy is famous for its "Dual Concentric" coaxial design, and some of its models (e.g. Tannoy System 600) have been used in the past for psychoacoustics experiments. But it's more difficult now to find these speakers, and the new models are mainy for HiFi and often passive (e.g. they require an external amplifier).

The Equator D5 work very well, so I'd definitely recommend those. You are welcome to come to listen to them in South Kensington, if you come close to there sometimes!

Best regards

Lorenzo

--
Dr Lorenzo Picinali
Senior Lecturer in Audio Experience Design

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/l.picinali

www.imperial.ac.uk/design-engineering-school