[AUDITORY] Fwd: [ISMIR-Community] NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates: Understanding Music, Media, and Minds

(Apologies for cross-posting)

Dear colleagues in US colleges/universities,
I'm happy to announce the following exciting research program for undergraduate students (US citizens or permanent residents) at the University of Rochester this summer. I'd appreciate it much if you could forward it to your students.
Sincerely,
Zhiyao

Announcing: NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates: Computational Methods for Understanding Music, Media, and Minds

Applications now being accepted for Summer 2017

How can a computer learn to read an ancient musical score? What can methods from signal processing and natural language analysis tell us about the history of popular music? Can a computer system teach a person to better use prosody (the musical pattern of speech) in order to become a more effective public speaker? These are some of the questions that undergraduate students will investigate this summer in our REU at the University of Rochester.  Each student will be mentored by two or more faculty members drawn from Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Brain and Cognitive Science, the program in Digital Media Studies, and the Eastman School of Music.

The program is open to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year full time students at a college or university, who are US citizens or permanent residents, and who will have completed two programming courses or have equivalent experience by the start of the summer program.  Students do not need to be computer science majors. We encourage applications from students attending colleges that lack opportunities for research, and from students from communities underrepresented in computer science.

Please visit http://www.sas.rochester.edu/dsc/undergraduate/reu.html for more information.

--
Assistant Professor
University of Rochester