Re: [AUDITORY] Maximum temporal window for pattern recognition and the perception of redundancy

I don’t understand the question either. I read the question as being about memory. I’m not sure about ‘we’ [sic], but I can remember fragments and patterns sometimes spaced out over months, or even years. In music this area is sometimes referred to as ‘style’. Listening to a slow movement of a middle symphony of Haydn, I can hear patterns from other Haydn symphonies, and sometimes Mozart symphonies. In post-modernist terms, with words, this is called intertextuality.

In my classes my example is a two-minute recording in a noisy restaurant which I play to the class once. I have taken five 2-3 second excerpts. I play these five excerpts twice. I replay the restaurant scene. Less than half of the class pick up 1 or 2, most of the rest pick up 3 or 4, there are usually a handful who pick out all five.

Regarding ocean waves. I used to record hours of ocean waves. Years later, I could often identify where I did the recording by listening to less than 10 seconds. There was once a student in a class who appeared to have a kind of eidetic hearing. Many weeks after being at a concert of new [electroacoustic] music, the student was able to describe in great detail pieces he had heard once. This is an unusual skill, but is not unknown among musicians, such as George Enescu who played both the piano part, and then the violin part of the Ravel Violin Sonata, without the music, after one hearing.

Regards

Kevin