4 fully-funded PhD fellowships, Music Technology at NYU

Dear all,
(Apologies for cross-posting — Please help us spread the word).

The Music Technology program of New York University is accepting applications for at least 4 fully-funded PhD fellowships to start in Fall 2017. Fellowships are for 4 years including full tuition remission, health insurance and a yearly stipend. Accepted candidates will join the Music and Audio Research Laboratory (MARL), a multidisciplinary team of scholars and practitioners working at the intersection of sound, music, science and technology, and will work on a variety of projects including recently-funded initiatives such as the NYU HolodeckSONYC and BirdVox

The deadline for applications is December 1.

We believe that both our program and the research community benefit from the diverse viewpoints and ideas of a diverse body of scholars. Therefore we strongly encourage applications from women and other groups traditionally underrepresented in science and technology research

For more information about the PhD program and MARL please visit:
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/music/technology/programs/doctoral
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/marl/

Any questions about the program and our research can be sent to Juan Pablo Bello (jpbello@xxxxxxx).

About MARL: Since its foundation in 2008, MARL has produced more than 175 publications in books, conference proceedings and scientific journals; raised in excess of $4M in funding from governmental agencies, industry, private foundations, and a variety of university initiatives; and gained visibility in a multiplicity of research communities such as ICAD, AES, ISMIR, ICMC, NIME, and SMPC. Most importantly all of our PhD graduates have gone to pursue research careers in industry and academia in their areas of specialization.

About the Department: Music Technology at NYU is housed within the Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development. Founded in 1925, Music and Performing Arts Professions functions as NYU's "school" of music and developed into a major research and practice center in music technology, music business, music composition, film scoring, music performance practices, performing arts therapies, and the performing arts-in-education (music, dance, and drama). Today, 1,600 students majoring in these renowned music and performing arts programs are guided by 400 faculty. Our degree programs are marked by an integration of performance, research, technology, and practice, in ways that bring performance majors and composers together with choreographers, directors, actors, dancers, educators, librettists, and filmmakers in collaborative projects often reviewed by the New York media.

About the University: New York University is the largest private research institution in the United States, and one of the few schools where faculty and students pursue exceptional scholarship that integrates creative practice with STEM research.  Students in Music Technology take advantage of not only their own faculty and facilities but also the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, the Polytechnic School of Engineering, and research centers such as the Center for Urban Science and Progress, the Center for Data Science  and the Media and Games Network (MAGNET).

Juan Pablo Bello
Associate Professor, Music Technology and Electrical & Computer Engineering
Director, Music and Audio Research Lab (MARL)
New York University
jpbello@xxxxxxx
https://wp.nyu.edu/jpbello/
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/marl/