Re: hearing sudden distortion effect

I feel the need to contribute as well. I'm the classic definition of young normal hearing, and I have a similar phenomenon as David that began in my late 20s. When I'm laying on my side and have one ear covered by a pillow, a room fan will trigger a middle ear reflex (mostly only in my right ear). I describe it as a twitch that I can resolved by repositioning either to a location where both my ears are accessible for hearing the fan or the opposite ear can be blocked by a pillow and the reflex stops.

I will note that during the winter months if I fly frequently I also have pressure equalization issues in the same ear. In fact, one flight last winter I was unable to pop my right ear and felt like my eardrum almost burst. I mechanically tried to open my Eustachian tube by chewing gum and physically pulling my pinna up and down. I think that might have helped prevent my eardrum from bursting, by I had a temporary hearing loss for almost two days after that flight.

I also occasionally think about the fact that I frequently take elevators 10 flights or more and ride a tram to work, thinking that these issues might be caused by excessive daily elevation changes. However, when my acoustic reflex issues began 5 years ago, I rarely changed altitude on a daily basis. In terms of rehabilitation, I will say that access to an immittance bridge and being able to control the pressure manually through tympanometry is a great way to resolve my pressure equalization issues and help reduce my middle ear reflex twitch.

~Anna

Sent from my iPhone