Re: hearing sudden distortion effect

Hello all,
I have a similar issue.  About 15 years ago I was using a circular saw for the first time (unprotected ears, big mistake).  When the saw hit the wood, it was very loud, and I felt a "pop" sensation inside my right ear.  Ever since, if I am in a situation with a loud noise (not surprisingly, exacerbated by my kids' screaming....) I have distortion in that ear and it also feels like my ear is trying to protect itself from the loud noise.  I have no other symptoms (tinnitus etc).  I've learned just to live with it, and of course carry ear plugs in every one of my bags!
Rebecca

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Miriam Kolar <kolar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jim,

Another anecdote that may be useful . . .

My father, a liturgical organist and music director, describes a similar problem in one ear (like a "distorted signal with reverberation") that was first triggered in his mid 60's during a loud choir rehearsal and persisted over many months . . . he says it correlated with a period of regular ibuprofen use, and so he now instead uses naproxen if he needs an NSAID, to avoid the aural distortion effect.

Best,
Miriam

*. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *
Miriam A. Kolar, Ph.D.
Five College Associate
Weatherhead Fellow, School for Advanced Research (2016-2017)
Lead Investigator, Chavín de Huántar Archaeological Acoustics Project
mkolar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / kolar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.culturalacoustics.org
*. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *

On 2016-10-02 09:17, Tom Brennan wrote:
Jim, I have this problem fairly frequently.  Have severe tinnitis and also
bilateral Meniere's.  Actually had to stop tuning pianos due to this dostortion
problem.  I find that it is far worse if my allergies are acting up at all.
I've not seen much written on this exact problem but believe it may have to do
with some endolymphatic hydrops.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html